Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree is preferred, or BTech
- Significant experience in a high volume manufacturing environment, preferably automotive
- Experience of working in Quality Assurance minimum 10 years.
Responsible for the inspection of all incoming parts from supply chain companies and internally produced components/vehicles to meet the quality standards and systems required.
Will have people and budgetary management responsibility.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Provide clear leadership for the development of an environment focused on Quality.
Develop quality-process links with customers inline with the Quality Management system (including: TS16949, ISO14001 / ISO 9001 / OHAS 18001) Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Controls Plans, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) and Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) processes and oversee continued compliance and embedding across the business.
Responsible for maintaining relationships with customers and suppliers to maximise profit potential and ensure efficiency.
Manage the audit programme as well as supplier development and improvement and play a key role in ensuring project deliveries.
Work proactively with all Directors, Managers, Supervisors and Employees, to maintain a programme of continual improvement within their areas of responsibility.
Lead a ‘correct at source’ and problem solving methodology (Lean). Lead the team to achieve quality targets for customers and business goals.
Strategy and Development
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice quality vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
General and Task Management.
- Implement all relevant procedures described in the Quality Management System (QMS) and ensure compliance
- Ensure that all in-house systems and procedures are updated, revised and modified to meet the needs of external certification bodies
- Respond to customer complaints putting in containment actions, full analysis, poka-yokes (error proofing), and implementing short-term and long-term countermeasures
- Champion a program for the implementation and sustainment of a continuous improvement culture
- Act as a point of contact for warranty issues
- Update quality documentation and communicate to carry forward lessons learned from quality concerns in new customer contracts
- Ensure that all necessary systems and procedures are in place to satisfy all customer requirements and audits
- Introduce new systems and procedures where appropriate
- Train others in all aspects of the quality system and application of procedures
- Undertake internal and process audits of the Quality Management System (QMS)
- Management of the Quality Engineers and Technicians in the sign-off of parts and the resolution of internal/external quality concerns
- Report against agreed quality metrics on a monthly basis
- Lead regular inspection meetings with representatives from appropriate departments to establish an action plan for improving build quality
- In conjunction with the Supplier Quality Assurance function, reduce the effect of non-conforming supplier materials on the production area quality
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions
- Produce written reports and make presentations
- Undertake continuous training and development
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact
- Develop, implement and manage key performance indicators (KPIs) for each area of responsibility
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing Quality Operations team that meets agreed objectives and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements
- Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels
- Motivate and coach the team to operational success
- Review, implement and update company records e.g. training matrices, performance reviews, risk assessments
- Communicate KPIs from the strategic annual plan so that each employee is aware
- Provide technical expertise to the team
- Manage contractors on site to ensure they meet legal and company requirements.
Financial and Budget Control:
- Input and hold responsibility for Quality budgets
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the Quality strategy
- Liaise with suppliers to resolve quality issues
- Liaise and communicate with other departments, customers, suppliers and other service providers
- Work as part of the Management team to share ideas and improve operation, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities and process and procedure improvements to optimise results and improve quality of delivery, in line with quality standards requirements delivery in line with Company and Customer requirements
- Communicate with personnel at all levels, internally and externally to the Company, in relation to Quality matters
- Comply with the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Support encourage and develop team
- Proactively contribute to creating a good team atmosphere
- Anticipates and overcomes obstacles
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent leadership and man- management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a variety of cross-functional team members
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent organisational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Commercially aware